Imagine the youth of your organization enjoying the life-affirming experience of writing and performing their very own play!
Give your students a voice to express their own strong ideas and opinions!
New Moon Productions’ “Share Your Story” – A Play Creation Workshop is an enriching and life-affirming theatre education program whose goal is to guide children (generally ages 10-17) in the creation and production of an original theatre performance piece based on an idea, issue, or theme that is deeply felt by the students. Past topics include “the inherent worth and dignity of every person”, “care of the environment”, and “the impact of war on families”. Over the course of the workshop, each student contributes to the creation of the story, writes the text, explores movement, suggests the staging, and rehearses and performs the show for the community.
“As a parent, watching Michael take each students stories & memories of their time at Bolton, help them write it to create a story line that captivated the audience and then direct them out of their shells into a musical talent show that showed off each child’s individual talent, all wrapped up in one show was extraordinary.”
Wendy Frankle, MA, LPC, parent, former educator
What makes this program so unique?
Personal empowerment and students’ complete ownership of the finished theatrical piece is the rule of the day for this workshop! In a “Share Your Story” workshop, participating students:
- decide upon the theme, issue, or idea that is important to them
- create the story and characters
- write the script
- suggest the staging
- suggest the props & costumes
- rehearse the play
- and perform the finished play for the public.
The “Share Your Story” workshop’s focus on education and mentorship is also unique. Our instructors gently guide the students to fully understand the issues and ideas they are writing about, then take students on a journey of discovery to expand their existing talents in storytelling, writing, character development, acting, and stage movement. The process encourages the students to grow as young human beings through an inspiring artistic endeavor.
“Share Your Story” workshop formats include:
- Summer Camp: two weeks, Monday-Friday 9am-3pm.
- Summer Camp: three weeks, Monday-Friday 9am-3pm.
- After-School Workshop: two weeks, Saturdays & Sundays 10am-4pm and Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 6-8:30pm.
- Intensive Workshop: one week, Sunday 10am-5pm, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm, Saturday 10am-5pm.
- Or tell us your specific day/time needs, and we will work with you to develop a custom workshop format!
Generally, two performances are held, one on the evening of the last day of the workshop and one the following afternoon or evening.
Many aspects of the program are flexible:
- if you wish to have the students focus on a particular issue or idea for the writing
- if you would like the program to run at different times or days
- if you would like to focus on a particular age group
- if you would like to have a longer and more in-depth program
We will work with you to develop a program that best suits your organization, students, and goals.
This program is also an excellent fundraiser. Ask us how you can raise up to $3,000 for your organization.